The Aguiar Collection, Sonora and Sinaloa Imprints Collection, and Early Northwest Mexico Imprints Collection are displayed and searched together because of their inter-related nature.
Digital images were created from the microfilm version of this collection.
The collection consists of one box containing one folder of seven items. The seven items are manifestos and broadsides from the Government of Occidente concerning the breakup of the State of Occidente into the States of Sonora and Sinaloa. They are all printed between the dates 1827-1837.
This collection is related to the collections of MS 916 (Aguiar Collection) and MS 917 (Sonora and Sinaloa Imprints Collection). The collections were processed together in 1980, though the processor maintained the integrity of each collection so MS 916 contains series A-K, MS 917 contains series L-Q, and MS 918 contains series R.
After Mexico achieved independence from Spain in 1821, the nation faced the task of creating not only a national government, but also the divisions of individual states. Of these new states, Occidente was created to include those provinces of New Spain which had been known as Sinaloa and Sonora. This combination was made for administrative purposes, but internal conflicts, as well as problems of poor communication and a vast and difficult geography drove the two states apart.
The isolation of Sonora from the seat of government was too great and after initial opposition, the legislature of Occidente granted separate status to the two states. There was a gradual process of dissolution where Sinaloa had to create another new government. These documents demonstrate the mechanics of setting up a government; there are decrees dealing with the judicial system, the treasury, militia, etc.
1 box, .5 cubic feet
All of the collection is in Spanish.
The collection's provenance is uncertain. The collection was microfilmed in 1980 with a description from a rare book dealer done in 1954. Since other materials of this kind were donated in 1954 by W.J. Holliday, it is believed that this collection was also donated by him.
Requests for permission to publish materials from this collection should be addressed to the Library/Archives Department, Arizona Historical Society.
The collection was processed and microfilmed in 1980. It is not known who processed the collection in 1980. This finding aid was completed by Riva Dean, Library/Archives Co-Manager.