UA Library

Prescott Journal Miner

June 29, 1917

Strike May Spread from Bisbee to Globe and Ray

Trouble Grows More Serious at Bisbee; Mines to Shut Down

Ninety Per Cent of Men in Warren District Are Out; Union Leaders Claim; Disturbance May Spread to this Section of the State.

Special to the Journal-Miner.

            PHOENIX, June 28. – The mine strike situation is assuming formidable proportions and the trouble at Bisbee, which grew more acute today when only a small portion of the men showed up for work, threatens to spread to Globe, Miami and Ray. At Globe and Miami demands of a drastic character have been made upon the operators and they have been given until Friday night at 7 o’clock to accede to them. In the event that the owners turn down the proposals, the workers will begin voting Saturday morning at 9 o’clock on the question of strike or no strike. Should the sentiment be in favor of a strike the men will all refuse to go to work Monday morning.

            Information received here tonight was to the effect that the Ray Consolidated at Ray will be the next in line for labor trouble and that it will not be long before the Jerome field will again be the center of another industrial disturbance.

            Sheriff Wheeler removed all the pickets guarding mine property in the Warren district today and tomorrow will swear in 250 deputies to preserve order and safeguard the mines.

Mines Badly Crippled.

            BISBEE, June 28. – The second day of the strike of copper miners, called by the Metal Mine Workers’ Industrial Union, a branch of the Industrial Workers of the World, found on large property closed, two other working with short crews and several independent mines shut down altogether.

            The large operators, the Shattuck Arizona Copper Company, which suspended operations yesterday because only a few men reported for work, the Calumet & Arizona and the Copper Queen branch of the Phelps-Dodge Corporation, announced to the decision to close the mines before treating with the new union.

            Representatives of the latter two companies said that not more than 5 per cent of their men had responded to the strike call and predicted that many of these would return.

            A. D. Kimball, secretary of the union, however, said the strike had the support of 90 per cent of the miners and that they were confident of victory.

            There has been no disorder and union leaders said that the men who wanted to work would not be interfered with by “peaceful pickets” who had been stationed about the mines.

            Seven thousand men are employed in the Globe-Miami district and 5,000 in the Bisbee district. Operation of the smelters at Douglas has not been affected by the strike at the mines.