Activity 1A: Background- Labor History
Students will research major labor disputes that occurred in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Standard: Strand 1- American History
Concept 7: Emergence of the Modern U.S., Economic, social and cultural changes
PO 6 : Describe Progressive Reforms that resulted in the Industrial Revolution:
a. Labor Unions
Concept 1: Research Skills for History
PO 7: Analyze cause and effect relationships
PO 8: Describe two point of view for the same historical event
Concept 7: Emergence of the Modern U.S.
PO 1: Analyze how the following aspects of industrialization transformed the American economy beginning in the late 19th century:
d. Labor movement (e.g., Bisbee Deportation)
- Have students write a summary of one labor conflict providing information about what happened - What did labor want? How did management respond? Were strikebreakers used and if so, how did the strikers react? What were the results of the strike?
- Have students share their strike with three or four other students.
- Students will list the commonalities and differences between their strikes.
- Create a class list of labor disputes and commonalties and differences.
- Keep the students' conclusions posted.
- Revisit the list when the class has studies the events of the Bisbee deportation and compare Bisbee with the other strikes.
Sources to Consult