Activity 2C: Viewing Video
Students will view a web video to learn about the Bisbee deportation.
Standard: Strand 1- American History
Grade 6- 8
Concept 1 : Research Skills for History
PO 4. Formulate questions that can be answered by historical study and research
PO 7. Analyze the cause and effect relationships between and among individuals and/or historical events.
PO 8. Describe two points of view on the same historical event
PO 8. Analyze two points of view on the same historical event
Concept 7: Emergence of Modern United States
PO 5 c. Analyze the impact of industrialization on the United States - Unions
PO 13. Describe important events associated with World War I
Concept 1: Research Skills in History
PO 3. Formulate questions that can be answered by historical research and study
Concept 7: Emergence of Modern U.S.
PO 1d. Analyze the labor movement (e.g. Bisbee deportation) to see how industrialization transformed the American economy.
PO 3: Analyze events which caused a transformation of the United States during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
f. World War I
The video The Bisbee Deportation of 1917: A Management-Labor Conflict in Arizona was created by two 10th grade students from Mesa High School as their entry to the 2000 National History Day competition. It provides an overview of the deportation events.Have students view the video and answer the following questions:
- What was the attitude of the Arizona government toward labor when Arizona became a state?
- How did World War I impact copper mining?
- Why did the political and business leaders in Bisbee decide to deport striking miners?
- List the events of July 12, 1917.
- What were conditions like on the cattle cars?
- How did the attitudes in Arizona towards labor change after the deportation?
Sources to Consult:
* NOTE: You will need a RealMedia player to view this video. A free player can be downloaded from http://www.real.com.