page 52


(Post Missionary Journal--July 1877 to July 1880)

AFEW DAYS after I returned from my mission, President Brigham Young and his son John W. visited Nephi. It was a privilege for me to meet this great man and prophet of God. He shook hands with me and the thrill of my life went through me. He told me that I was to be released from the Arizona mission call which had come to me while I was in England. The brethren seemed to think I could do as much good here at home as I might do "across the river."

Shortly after this I was called to preside over the first organization of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association in Nephi. A little later I was chosen second counselor to Bishop John Andrews. Apostle Orson Hyde, aided by Apostle Joseph F. Smith, ordained me a High Priest on January 20, 1878.

During the latter part of July, Ella and I went to Kanab to visit our relatives and to sell our house and lot, which had been returned to us when the United Order

page 53

ceased to operate. The house, a lot and a half, and 24 acres of land brought only $600 in cash.

While I was in Kanab, Apostle Erastus Snow, who was in charge of the stakes and wards of southern Utah, came from St. George and held Stake Conference in Kanab, August 7, 1877. In priesthood meeting he submitted my name for consideration as bishop of the Kanab Ward. A vote was called and there was no dissenting voice. Then I arose and explained that I had been asked by President Young to launch the M.I.A. work in Nephi. Brother Snow concluded to postpone any action until he had advised with President Young.

In early September a party of eight of us went from Kanab to St. George to work in the temple. While there I witnessed the marriage of my missionary companion, Ebenezer DeFrieze.

In November Ella and I returned to live in Nephi, where I worked early and late to become established on the earth. I was also active in my Church work. True to the experience of many missionaries after they return home, I passed through a very trying period. Thanks to the Lord and my good father and my faithful wife I weathered it through.

[ Note: The trying experience referred to is set out in some detail in father's Journal. Briefly the facts are these: upon returning to Nephi, father immediately filed upon a quarter section of government land some three or four miles from Nephi, and shortly thereafter established residence thereon in a small log cabin built with his own hands. To redeem this barren land he and his father placed a dam in the creek to store surplus water for irrigation. The reservoir covered some twenty acres

page 54 

with an average depth of eight feet. No person protested during the building of the dam but soon after the dam was completed, the farming land cleared and grain-crop growing nicely, a number of individuals owning meadow land from one to three miles below this small reservoir, decided that the dam was an injury to them and that it must and should come out.

The matter was referred to the High Council of the Juab Stake, presided over by President George Teasdale, and a decision adverse to the Udalls was rendered. Father felt that the decision was unfair and unjust in that (a) half of the High Councilors were owners of meadow land and hence were interested parties, (b no evidence was adduced to prove that the dam was an injury to any person or group; all was based upon guesswork, no measurements being taken; (c) they were given no opportunity in rebuttal to show that the only water stored was that caught early in the season when it was running to waste and doing no one any particular good.

Following the decision and after a rehearing had been denied, someone under cover of darkness cut the dam, loosing the stored water, which resulted to our damage in the sum of $500 or $600, not including the prospect of a crop of barley and wheat from eighteen acres. The growing grain crops, of course, died for lack of irrigation.]

June 2, 1878, father recorded in his diary:

What have I done, Oh Lord, that all my friends have turned against me?

Thursday, June 6. Today Brother B. Richies informed me that there is now no water passing into the reservoir. I went to the canyon and cut more logs. I dreamed that night that the dam was taken out and the reservoir drained.

page 55

Friday, June 7. I took another load of logs to the mill. When I reached town Ella told me that the dam was broken, which was a literal fulfillment of my dream. Ella and I returned to our home on the quarter section, depressed in spirits. Found the reservoir drained.

President Teasdale reputedly made the observation after the dam bad been cut: "What good is the stored water to anybody now that it is down in Utah Lake?"

[ Note: Following this bitter experience and financial setback, father moved his family back to Nephi before proceeding to engage in filling a contract to log timbers from the nearby canyon at $6 per thousand feet of lumber.*  It was at this time that word reached them of the death of Ella's father, Levi Stewart, on June 14, 1878, at Kanab.]
Quoting from the diary:

This loss is a great sorrow. The sensation and shock to Ella must have been dreadful. Brother Stewart bad been such an affectionate father, full of good counsel and forbearance. He was born April 23, 1812. He joined the Church in the early days and passed through the drivings in Missouri. He left Nauvoo and came to Utah in 1848. He lived in the Eighth Ward in Salt Lake City for many years and was counselor to Bishop Sheets; then be moved to Big Cottonwood where be was counselor to Bishop Bruilon. He was called in 1870 by President Young to go to Kanab to colonize and preside as bishop. He filled preaching missions in the United States before be came west and has filled other missions of business and trust for the Church of Jesus Christ, He is the father of thirty children born to him by three wives, He sustained a grievous loss on December 14, 1872, when Ella's mother and five

* Father continued his strenuous logging work and within the month mother accompanied relatives to Kanab for a visit. As a final protest on the reservoir matter a letter was dispatched by the two Udalls (David and David K.) to President John Taylor, on August 4, 1878, reciting the occurrences heretofore related. It does not appear that the First Presidency replied to this communication.

page 56 

of Brother Stewart's sons were burned to death in a fire in the old fort at Kanab.

While in Salt Lake he followed the mercantile business and had a horse and cattle ranch at the "point of the mountain." When he moved from Salt Lake he was considered a rich man. It can be truly said that he was a good and great man.

(1878. August 6th to October 5th. These two months were spent in the canyons chopping timber to fill the log contract. The entries in the journal during this time tell of daily output of logs, bad roads, etc., etc.)

October 6. I have been in the canyon until I am worn out and almost discouraged. It has been storming and at different times I have lost my oxen for a half day at a time. I had hoped to finish my contract in time to attend October Conference in Salt Lake City, but I have to go back to the canyon to cut more logs 600 feet more. I delivered 15,000 feet of lumber to pay off my indebtedness.

October 9. I put in the last 600 feet on contract and got out a load of house logs to take home with me.

October 12. I left home at 1:00 a.m. for Salt Lake City to see Edward E . . . . and got a settlement, bringing home with me $200 in cash. While there I paid $100 as a first payment on the Brigham Young block in Kanab. Tommy Stewart, Lawrence Mariger and I are buying this block for $600.

Monday, October 14-15. I have spent the day getting ready to start to Kanab.

October 16. This evening I attended Y.M.M.I.A. The meeting was addressed by Junius F. Wells and Professor Hardy. I was released.

October 16-17-18. Been loading up and preparing to move south. It is a lot of work. I attended M.I.A. and gave my farewell address and received a vote of thanks for my labors. If I have done any good the Lord has the praise. In myself I have felt weak, but when attended by the spirit of God I have been strong. Many of my friends regret my departure from Nephi. I feel the necessity of getting a home. That is my reason for moving.

page 57

October 19. I traded three cows and a yearling heifer to Ed. Oakey for a yoke of oxen. I thought I would start today but failed to get ready.

October 20, Sunday. I went to meeting and was called upon to speak. Before closing my talk I referred to my moving away and said if I owed anything to anyone in the community I wanted them to acquaint me with the fact, for I want to settle all my indebtedness. I told them I was going away because I feel the responsibility of getting established in a home, having been married nearly four years and finding myself homeless now. I got our recommends from Bishop John Andrews. Many people said they were grieved to have us leave Nephi. Today I finished recording the genealogy of my father's family in my family record.

Monday, October 21. I left home this morning at 10:30 with four yoke of oxen, a 3 1/2-inch wagon, a log wagon, a gang and sulky plow all coupled together behind my oxen. My load consists of 800 lbs. of flour, 700 lbs. of salt, six bushels of Sonora wheat. three trunks, one box of dishes, one stove, one walnut secretary I bought at Dinwoody's in Salt Lake City which cost me $50; one cupboard costing $25, one walnut table costing $7, one bedstead, four chairs, and a lot of small articles such as tubs, buckets, etc. My load weighs about 4,000 lbs. A good load for my poor oxen. I left in Nephi three cows, one ox, three yearlings, two chairs, besides one quartersection of land located in Township 12 S., R. I W., and on which I have lived according to the requirements of the law. Also a one-half interest with father in a reservoir. These have been surveyed and recorded in the county records. I have settled all my debts but $10 at the Nephi Z.C.M.I. This amount Supt. Charles Foote is to collect from people who owe me.

Lately I gave my sister, Mary, a nice coming two-year-old heifer. Also to my brother, Joseph, I gave this year's heifer calf. I gave Aunt Rebecca Doctor Gunn's Medical Book.

I leave Nephi with good feelings for its inhabitants, with a few exceptions, and a desire to do good wherever I go. I could not keep the tears back when it came to parting with my dear kindred and friends. Father bad to go to work before I started. What a good father he has been! God bless him, also my brothers

page 58 

and sisters and stepmothers and friends. I camped 16 miles from Nephi the first night.

Monday, November 4. Today I passed the place where Ella's father died. It is about one mile north of the Scootumpah Wash.

Tuesday, November 5. Arrived at Kanab at 4:00 p.m. today
and found my wife in good health and with an affectionate welcome for me. The folks are all pleased to see me. I thank the Lord for my prosperous journey and that He has spared our lives to meet again as husband and wife. He is the author of all good. If it be His will that I remain in Kanab, may I be an instrument in His hands in doing good and honoring the priesthood and preparing myself and those near to me for the great events of the future.
I miss the presence of my beloved father-in-law, Levi Stewart.

November 6. I have been greeting friends today and talking over the past, present, and future. I unloaded furniture into part of Tommy's house.

November 7. I have been putting Ella's bedroom in order. Turned the oxen on the range.

Wednesday, November 8. This morning at 7:30 Ella gave birth to a son. To our sorrow he expired almost immediately after birth. We must acknowledge the hand of the Lord though there seems no reconciliation. Oh, Lord, why are we deprived of the association of our dear babe? We have been doting on this time of happiness with fond anticipation. We have prayed for and anxiously awaited the coming of this innocent babe. My dear Ella is heartbroken, all her suffering and then the loss of our little one. Our friends and kindred are very kind.

Thursday, November 9. Brother Tommy looked after the making of the coffin and Lawrence after the digging of the grave. Aunt Macy and Sarah dressed the little babe and about noon we committed his remains to the silent grave in the southwest corner of the Stewart lot. Ella and I feel sorely grieved and deprived.

January 1, 1879. From November 9th to date I have been working with Lawrence and Tommy. On December 18th we three agreed to consolidate our capital and interests in a company for our mutual benefit. We have signed our names to a written agree-

page 59

ment. The company is to be known by the name of Udall, Mariger and Stewart.

During this time I have traded two yoke of oxen for a pair of four-year-old horses and one poor ox. Also two yoke of oxen for 20 acres of land.

On the 1st of December Ella and I were voted in as members of the Kanab Ward. December 8th and 9th was Kanab Stake Conference. I was called on the home missionary list for three months. On December 25th I joined the Y.M.M.I.A. The new program is adopted by the central committee in Salt Lake City.

We have applied to Pres. L. John Nuttall and Bishop Win. L. Johnson of this ward for permission to make a reservoir at the northeast corner of Kanab field. We have had no answer yea or nay.

I have been to Johnson for a load of hay, built a stable for my horses and helped in the store. Have attended Y.M. punctually.

Saturday, January 11, 1880. About 2 p.m. I started for Salt Lake City to buy goods for our company. I have $153.75 in cash.

January 12, Sunday. I filled my home missionary appointment to Orderville. Visited a few minutes with Brother Claridge and felt well in talking in meeting. I arrived back to camp at about nine o'clock after riding 30 miles through heavy sand, half the distance bareback.

Sunday, January 19. I arrived home, Nephi, about 7 p.m. All well and pleased to see me. The diphtheria has taken off some twenty-four children in Nephi since I left here in October. Father's health has not been the best for the past few months. He is better now for which I thank the Lord. He and the family are all feeling well in the Gospel.

Thursday, January 28. Left for Salt Lake. While in town I met several missionary friends. I am staying at President Taylor's. I brought a package to him from his niece, Sister Nuttall. President Taylor is a very communicative man and I enjoy his society, I signed two notes amounting to $1140, payable in thirty and sixty days, respectively. I secured agencies for the Newton wagons, the Win plow, the Champion reaper and mower. Made inquiry

page 60 

concerning the Singer sewing machine. My brother, Joseph, and Lon Stewart met me at York with teams for hauling the goods to Kanab.

January 29. I left Nephi at noon. I was on the road until February 8th. Ella came out ten miles from Kanab to meet me. We were thankful to be together again. I found the boys, Tommy and Lawrence, busily employed in building a store on the Brigham Young Block.

February 9-April 28. I have been attending to business, more especially our farming. Planted ten acres of wheat. We bought 70 acres of land for $700 in horses, wagon, store pay and cattle. Filled home missionary appointments to Mt. Carmel, Johnson and Orderville. On April 6th I was sustained a ward teacher in the Kanab Ward.

April 29. Accompanied by President Nuttall I started for Salt Lake for merchandise. Ella did not like to have me leave home but we are close run for cash and I must do my part. I took 663 lbs. of wool to Salt Lake.

Brother Nuttall is an agreeable companion. lie talks on sound principles. While in Manti we attended a meeting in the courthouse. Erastus Snow and President Teasdale were there. They appointed three men from that county to represent the county in Zion's Board of Trade, Salt Lake City. This board is to control the price of produce throughout the Church.

Also attended a mass meeting to protest against the proceedings of the Third District Court for confining President Daniel H. Wells in prison for two days and fining him $100 for refusing in court to reveal the ordinances of the Endowment House. How long will such proceedings be permitted?

Work on the Manti Temple is progressing nicely, The site is a beautiful one.

(A partnership agreement was entered into by L. C. Mariger, David K. Udall and William T. Stewart. The object was to engage in stock raising, farming and general mercantile business. It was mutually agreed that the name of the company should be Udall, Mariger and Stewart.

page 61

The three boys decided that this was the best combination of their names. ] Their respective ages were 30, 27 and 25 years. Brother Mariger had a wife and one child. Brother Stewart was a married man having lost his first wife, Tamar Hamblin, daughter of Jacob Hamblin, and being married to Fanny Little, daughter of James A. Little, with one child, the daughter of Tamar. Brother Mariger married Bishop Levi Stewart's daughter, Sarah. David K. Udall was married having for his wife, Luella, a daughter of Levi Stewart. They had just recently lost their only child. These three young men were brothers-in-law, William T. Stewart being a son of Levi Stewart.)

Being about equal, as we thought, in real values of property we became equal partners. In our voting on questions it was not so much based on capital stock, dollars and cents, but more the feeling of common brotherhood. Brother Tommy Stewart, previous to the organizing of this company, bad built him a nice, rather pretentious home in part of which my wife and I lived, with Tommy's family the other side; Lawrence and Sarah occupying their own home.

Our first business venture was a city block in Kanab, which was improved and owned by and was known as the property of President Brigham Young. This was the choicest piece of property in all the land. We bought it from the heirs of President Young's estate. The lot was well fenced, as President Young would have it done, and it was planted to orchard, alfalfa and grapevines. Said property was located across the street south from Brother Tommy's home.

We immediately took steps to build on the northwest corner of this block a lumber store building, which was

page 62

occupied by a retail store and telegraph office. At this time we agreed that Brother Mariger supervise and give special attention to the mercantile business, etc., and that Brother Stewart tend to our stock raising, and I to look after the farming. The condition of the country was such that it appeared there was nothing but a bright future before us. The grazing opportunities were seemingly boundless. It, in fact, was a free range, the forest of the Buckskin Mountains and the Upper Kanab country were for use of the settlers as they needed. There were great canyons and mountain cliffs that kept back the cattle and horses on an immense range of country, which included the country lying west and north of Kanab to the banks of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado. Just west of the Kanab wash the Church established and developed a magnificent cattle range, which is known as Pipe Springs to this day. Little farming was done in this entire region. The population was mostly pioneers of the old stock and converts to our Church, who had ventured to make their homes in this country which was recognized as a desert. 

We had liberal patronage in our mercantile business. Many Indians from east of the Colorado came to Kanab to trade blankets, pine nuts, etc. The Mormon emigrants, going to Arizona by way of Lee's Ferry, patronized us. We stocked our store with merchandise, purchased from Z.C.M.I. in Salt Lake City, which we hauled with our teams. With all our youth and vigor we entered into the business that was before us and were prospered in it. Our company was recognized as having a good standing. St. George had "Wolley, Lund and Judd" with a much greater field of operation, but "Udall, Mariger and Stewart" was recognized as a good firm to deal with.

page 63

The partnership contract, dated November 22, 1878, was unique in that it was agreed by the parties:

That if any member of this company shall at any time be called on any local or foreign mission by the authorities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, his family shall be provided for during his absence and money be furnished to him to take him to his field of labor; also if two members of this company shall be called at any time to locate in any other section of the country by the above-mentioned authorities, the other member agrees to accompany them if agreeable to the presiding authorities of the above-mentioned Church, and if it is deemed wise by the company to do so.

We agree to sustain each other in practicing all the principles pertaining to the Church of Jesus Christ, and to endeavor to be moral in our intercourse with each other and with all men, also to strictly observe the law of tithing as recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, and to donate to the poor and to assist in the building of Temples, and all other good works, which amounts may be determined by the controlling power of the company which shall be two-thirds of the said company.

We also agree that our property and all God has intrusted in our care shall be subject to the presiding priesthood of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

in case any member desires to withdraw from this company he may do so at the expiration of five years from this date, and be satisfied with the amount allotted to him by his partners. We also agree to use due diligence in establishing a good library and to promote education among ourselves.

(Signed)  David K. Udall

Lawrence C. Mariger

Win. T. Stewart

We were soon put to the test, almost before we were established in our new venture. Brother Mariger was called on a mission to Denmark and left August 19, 1879. Some

page 64 

time later Tommy was called to fill a mission in New Zealand. I was called by President Taylor to move to St. Johns, Arizona, to preside there as bishop, and was instructed to be at Kanab Stake Quarterly Conference in June 1880, to be set apart for my calling.

Before I left, Tommy and I with Lawrence's wife, Sarah, agreed on the division of the property. The amount assigned to my family was two new wagons, two pair of horses, a saddle pony or two, and a bunch of cattle--about 40 head. These cattle were received on account at the store in part settlement of the Stewart estate account run at the store. I also received one stand of choice bees and about $100 in cash. The balance of the property was divided among the other two partners in a satisfactory way, which meant that Tommy took his home back, and the store interests and the block was divided between them on a fair basis.

In conclusion, there was never any consideration to our individual services in the company in our adjustments of the accounts. I remember, with a degree of pleasure, that I, representing the company, took some of our farm implements with teams to the Buckskin Mountains in the autumn of 1879 and worked a month or more. We located a ranch and plowed from 50 to 75 acres, expecting to farm the next spring and the following years. The land was formerly owned by the Stewart family. It was DeMotte Park (also known as the V.T. Park) and is now on the main highway to the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim.

In the spirit of appreciation I recall my association in the firm of "Udall, Mariger and Stewart." Lawrence Mariger and Tommy Stewart stand among the finest men

page 65

I have ever known. Our hopes ran high in that business undertaking, prosperity attended the beginning of our efforts and we bad bright promises for success, Our love for each other has been steadfast through the years.

During the two years we operated I made several trips to Salt Lake to buy merchandise for the store. I raised two crops of grain and hay in Kanab, and one good crop of wheat on our ranch in DeMotte Park in the Kaibab Forest. We took over this ranch from the Stewart estate. In church and civic capacity I served as a home missionary in Kanab Stake and was active in Mutual and Sunday School work. I was elected justice of the Peace--my first political experience up to that date--and also served as Water Master for the town. We were successful those two years. Our neighbors were our friends, and supported us loyally. We bad good prospects for growing into a firm of some magnitude, and we were happy in our dreams for the future, but they came to a sudden end when Ella and I were called by the Church to pioneer in Arizona. A year in Nephi, two years in Kanab finished what I have called my "post missionary experience."

Previous Chapter:  II  Marriage and Mission
Next Chapter:  IV  Seven Years as Bishop (part 1of 2)
                                                                             IV  Seven Years as Bishop (part 2 of 2)

Main | Contents | Book Cover | Title Pages

Arizona Pioneer Mormon:
David King Udall: His Story and His Family, 1851 - 1938

Published by Arizona Silhouettes
Tucson, Arizona