50-2-1 First flag flown on USS Arizona, BB39, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. The flying of the flag over the sunken Arizona began on March 7, 1950.
51-1-1 The ship's bell from the USS Arizona hangs in the tower of the University of Arizona Student Union building. The bell is tolled at the memorial services, held each year on the Sunday closest to December 7. This is one of two recovered. The other is at the memorial at Pearl Harbor. The Navy gave one of the bells to the UA in 1946, principally through the efforts of Wilbur Bowers, an Army captain and a 1927 UA alumnus, who found the bells at the Bremerton Shipyards in Washington state.
On Nov. 18, 2000 workers removed the bell housed in the UA Student Union Memorial. It was temporarily stored until it was restored to the new union building in August 2002.
55-2-1 Model of the USS Arizona. Displayed in the Student Union hallway outside the memorial.
55-3-1 Small brown new testament removed from the body of an unidentified man from the USS Arizona, December 7, 1941.
Go to the next page
Return to USS Arizona - Objects from UA Library Special Collections