The University of Arizona Library
|12. U.S.S. ARIZONA, BATTLESHIP (LAUNCHED IN 1913)
| There was no thought of raising Arizona because of her military
value, but the divers and other salvors spent a lot of time investigating
the wreckage. At one time it was believed that the after part of the ship
was reasonably intact and that it could be raised if the underwater cutters
could satisfactorily disconnect this portion from the rest of the ship.
USA N-R&L (MOD) 30772
|USS Arizona, 10 December 1941
| The Ordnance Section was successful in removing from Arizona
in the early days a great deal of the anti-aircraft battery with its ammunition.
Much other ordnance material was recovered from the ship even as late as
November 1942. The oil which fouled the harbor was gradually removed as
it was released from the ship s opened tanks.
Practically all of the survey conducted in the summer
of 1942 had to be performed by divers, mostly from the inside of the ship.
It was found that the bow portion was buoyant, the after portion relatively
intact, but the central portion of the ship was badly wrecked. Lieutenant
Ankers assisted by Ensign Beauchamp-Nobbs and Carpenter Urbaniak make a
thorough survey. Gunner Manthei recovered considerable ammunition from
turrets III and IV. The 14-inch guns, except from turret II, were removed
and offered to the Army.
USN NR&L (MOD) 39773
| Members of the diving crew emerge from water-filled
compartments of Arizona.
| It was decided that nothing further should be done toward
salvaging Arizona, but that the ship should remain as a memorial to the
men who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor. The hull of the ship is the final
resting place of about 1100 men, including Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd.
In due time the topsides of Arizona were removed, and all projections from
the hull were cut off by divers. A memorial structure was built transversely
over the hull of the ship. It is supported by two concrete girders which
weigh 250 tons each. This rests on concrete piling. The structure is 185
feet long with a width of 27 and 36 feet respectively at the ends to 14
feet at the center. The assembly area accommodates 200 people.
The memorial is reached by a boat landing, and access
is gained by formal stairs at the harbor end. Included is a carillon and
a shrine. The shrine has a marble wall on which are inscribed the names
of the men who were lost on Arizona on 7 December 1941.
This structure is a fitting memorial to the 2335 service
men who were lost and the 1143 who were wounded on 7 December. It is painted
white and is surmounted by the American Flag which flies day and night.
The memorial is visited by many Americans and foreigners visiting Pearl
Return to the Title Page and Contents