Using Subject Headings
Your class assignment is to find ethnographies on the Crow, a North American Plains Indian people.
1. What is the correct subject heading for the Crow?
a. Crow people
b. Crow Indians
c. Crow Indian people
2. Do a subject search in the library’s catalog [link will open in a new window] for the Crow, using the correct subject heading determined earlier. How many subheadings are there for the Crow? [example: in "Crow Indians Fiction", the subheading is "Fiction"]
3. Read through the list of subheadings attached to the Crow subject heading. Which is the subheading that will most likely cover ethnographies?
c. Social Life and Customs
d. Pictorial Works and Exhibitions
4. What other subheadings besides the one determined above might also be good sources of ethnographies?
b. Legal Status, Laws, Etc.
Searching by Keyword
5. Which of these records retrieved is most likely NOT an ethnography?
a. Basso, Keith H. Heavy with hatred: an ethnographic study of western Apache witchcraft.
b. Friedlander, Eva. Indian use of the Santa Fe National Forest: a determination from ethnographic sources.
c. Farrer, Claire R. Play and inter-ethnic communication: a practical ethnography of the Mescalero Apache.
6. Your assignment is to find ethnographies of the Apache, using the keyword search option. How would you formulate a keyword search for Apache ethnographies?
a. apache* AND ethnograph*
b. apache AND ethnography*
c. apache* AND ethnography
7. Using the correct keyword search format, do a keyword search in the library catalog for Apache ethnographies. How many records does this search retrieve?
Ethnography Databases and Encyclopedias
8. Where would you be most likely to find citations to ethnographies on the Yanomamo (a people living in the Amazon forests of Venezuela)?
a. Bibliography of Asian Studies
b. Bibliography of Native North Americans
c. Hispanic American Periodicals Index
9. Where would you be likely to find citations to ethnographies on the Sami (also called Lapplanders, they live in the farthest north reaches of Norway)?
a. Hispanic American Periodicals Index
b. Anthropological Literature
c. International Index to Black Periodicals
10. The encyclopedia set The Handbook of North American Indians (HNAI) features short ethnographies on:
a. The tribes of the United States
b. The tribes of the United States, Canada and northern Mexico
c. The tribes of North and South America
You are done!