Wireless Printing from Your Personal Laptop
It is now possible to print from your personal Windows laptop to our networked public printers by installing the Pharos software linked under the installation instructions below.
- You must have administrative rights on your computer to install the Pharos system!
- You must be running Windows XP or Vista! (Sorry, no Macs at this time.)
- You must be connected to UAWiFi (not UAPublic) in order to send print jobs to our printers!
You can install either Main Information Commons printers or Branch Library printers, or both sets. (See below for a list of printers and locations included in each.)
Choose appropriate printer(s) to install from the choices below, depending on whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
If you are not sure about your system, right-click on “My Computer” on the desktop (or on “Computer” from the Start button) and select “Properties”. Look under "System" to see if it is either 64-bit or 32-bit system. If neither is mentioned, it is 32-bit.
- Click on the link(s) below to save the appropriate installation file(s) to your computer.
- Then double-click and “run” the file saved on your computer. (It may say it is from an unknown publisher; you’ll need to allow it to run.)
- Then click on the Install button.
(If Sophos antivirus software is running, you may get a message that a .tmp file is being quarantined because it thinks it is "adware/PUA MadCodeHook". It is not; just ignore this.)
- When installation is completed, click the Finish button.
INSTALLATION FILES Main Library Information Commons Printers
Branch Libraries (Science, Fine Arts, Main 2nd floor) Printers
Scholars' Corner Printer
32-Bit systems ICPrinters_for_W2K.exe (44 mb; updated 10/21/09) Branch Printers for W2K.exe (38 mb) n/a at this time 64-Bit systems ICPrinters_for_x64.exe (56 mb; updated 10/21/09) Branch Printers for x64.exe (19 mb) ScholarsCorner for x64.exe (67 MB)
- After installing the printer files, you must run the following batch file ("printserver.bat"). Click on it and save it to your computer. Then double-click and “run” this downloaded file. You will only briefly see a black window pop up and then disappear as it runs. That’s it.
(IMPORTANT: Vista users must right-click on this downloaded batch file, and then select “run as administrator”.)
- Installation files can be deleted from your computer after completing the above installation.
Printing from your Laptop
After you have completed the installation, you should be able to send print jobs to the following printers when connected to UAWiFi:
|File installed||Printer name on laptop||Printer locations|
Information Commons Printers:
Black & White Printer in IC
Color Printer in IC
|Main Library Information Commons area (1st floor)|
Black & White in Main on TSUNAMI
|Main Library (2rd floor, computer area in Research West room)|
Black & White Printer in Science on TSUNAMI
Color Printer in Science on TSUNAMI
|Science-Engineering Library (2nd floor, computer area)|
Black & White Printer in Fine Arts on TSUNAMI
Color Printer in Fine Arts on TSUNAMI
|Fine Arts Library (computer area)|
|ScholarsCorner Printer in Main on TSUNAMI||Main Library Scholars' Corner (A210)|
When printing, use the File – Print option in web browsers, or Print from the MS Office button, etc.
Select a printer in your location from the print menu.
Then enter a job name in the Pharos print box and click Print.
Go to the printer in the selected location and swipe your CatCard to select and print your job. (You must have cash in your CatCash account.)
- More information on costs of printing in the libraries
Print jobs will remain in the network cue for two hours after being sent and will then be deleted if not printed.
Uninstalling Pharos Software
If you wish to uninstall the Pharos system, or remove selected printers:
To uninstall Pharos: Open the Control Panel from the Start button (under Settings in XP). Select “Add or Remove Programs” (XP) or “Programs & Features” (Vista), then select Pharos and uninstall. This will remove all of the printers as well.
To remove selected printers: Go to the Control Panel and select Printers. Click on the printer(s) and delete.
Use of Pharos Software
All software is installed at your own risk.
Due to the wide variety of settings and configurations possible on personal laptops, we cannot guarantee that wireless printing will work on all laptops.
Last modified: March 11, 2013