Help with Summon
- Searching Summon interactive tutorial (get hands-on practice using Summon)
Use Summon's filters to refine your search and get better results.
You can filter by:
- Full Text Online
- Scholarly (Peer Reviewed)
- Library Catalog
- Content Type (books, journal articles, newspapers, video recording, etc.)
- Publication Date
- Library Location
Selecting "More..." below one of the refining options opens a pane to view additional options. Be sure to close this pane using the X at the top when you have made your selection.
Get to full text
Different items in Summon will display different availability information:
- For print books, the availability, call number, and location will show in the results list.
- For online articles, you might see Full Text Online, Check Availability, or Citation Only (if no full text is available).
- For an ebook, the display might read Full Text Online or Citation Only.
To save a result, select its folder icon.
To view saved items, select the folder icon to the right of the search box.
This is only a temporary folder. When you leave Summon, folder contents will disappear. It will also timeout and be emptied after 2 hours of inactivity. You will need to export or email items to keep them.
Cite, export and email
For a single item:
- Hover over the title of your item (or on smaller screens select the triangle icon next to the item).
- From the preview panel on the right side, select email to send yourself a link back to the item.
- Choose Cite and then a citation format if you want to print, export or email yourself a formatted reference for the item.
If you have a list of citations you want to export, print, or email, you need to save the items to your folder first. From the folder of saved items you can then email, print, or export the records. (Note: No more than 50 citations can be emailed or exported at a time.)
Using Summon off campus
You can use Summon from off-campus computers, but may see limited results. To get the most complete results, log in using your UA NetID from the yellow banner at the top of the page. UA students and employees also can authenticate off campus using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client, which they can get as a free download from UITS.
Summon is an evolving product and some features are still in development. If you run into issues that aren't included on this list, please send us feedback.
- If you have trouble finding a print book in Summon, try using WorldCat Local instead.
- Summon's save folder will be emptied after 2 hours of inactivity or if your browser window closes.
- No more than 50 citations can be emailed or exported from the save folder at a time.
- When typing new search terms on the search results page, Summon sometimes overwrites those terms. If this happens, try selecting the Search button rather than using Enter/Return to start the search.
- Newspaper results may not be current. To get the most recent newspaper articles, use newspaper databases directly, such as ProQuest Newsstand, Access World News and LexisNexis Academic.
- Sorting results by date (rather than relevance) may give off-topic results. To limit searches to recent items, it’s better to use the Publication Date filter and sort by relevance.
- Citations may have incorrect elements so be sure to double-check their accuracy.
Altmetrics in Summon
Summon now displays Altmetric data, such as the number of tweets, blog posts, Facebook shares, references in Wikipedia, or readers in Mendeley or CiteULike.
Summon users with screen-reader technology can use navigational elements at the top of the page known as “skip navigation” to allow the focus of the page to go directly to the search results, avoiding the navigation, search box, and filter elements.
A user also can navigate through Summon by using a keyboard:
The library and the UA’s Disability Resource Center work with Summon’s vendor to ensure that Summon fully complies with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d) and that it meets Level AA of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0. If you have any questions about Summon's accessibility, please call Summon Coordinator Cheryl Cuillier at (520) 310-9874.
Summon & PrivacySummon complies with all University of Arizona privacy and security policies and requirements. It does not solicit or retain user data. No UA data are stored on Summon’s servers. Additionally, Summon complies with 20 USC Section 1232(g), the Buckley Amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974.
Need more help?
Last modified: September 9, 2016