Research, Write, Publish
Subject-Specific Citation Guides
Agriculture | Anthropology | Archaeology | Biology | Chemistry | English | Engineering | Geography | Government Publications | History | Journalism | Legal Writing | Linguistics | Math | Medicine | Microbiology | Music | Physics | Political Science | Psychology | Science (General) | Sociology
Publications Handbook and Style Manual (American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America)
Used for materials submitted for publication by ASA-CSSA-SSSA.
As of Sept. 9, 2015, the American Anthropological Association has ceased production of the AAA Style Guide. AAA style now adheres fully to the current edition of the Chicago Manual of Style.
Scientific Style and Format: the CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (Council of Science Editors), 7th ed. 2006. (Index and table of contents available at CSE website.)
Covers all scientific disciplines except for technological fields not closely related to experimental and observational science.
Online Guides to Council of Science Editors (CSE) style:
- CSE Citation Style (University of Wisconsin-Madison Writing Center)
- CSE Style Guide (Ohio State University)
The ACS Style Guide: Effective Communication of Scientific Information [ebook] (American Chemical Society), 3rd ed. 2006. Print copy also available at QD8.5 .A25 2006 Science Library.
Online Guides to ACS:
- ACS Style Guide - from University of Wisconsin-Madison
- ACS Author Information (check under individual journals for author guidelines)
- ACS Books - See Author Guidelines
See MLA Style Guide
Publishing in ASCE Journals: A Guide for Authors [ebook] (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Cartographic Citations: A Style Guide. Shelved at GA108.7 .C55 1992 Main Library
Brief Guide to Citing Government Publications (University of Memphis)
DocsCite - Citation generator for APA or MLA (Arizona State University Libraries)
Citing Government Information Sources Using MLA Style (University of Nevada-Reno Libraries)
The following guides generally follow Chicago style or Turabian.
- Maurice Crouse's Citing Electronic Information in History Papers
- H-Net Guide for Citing Electronic Sources in History
Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, 2013. AP style and some background on free speech and libel laws. Shelved at PN4783 .A83 2013 Main Ref
The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage. Rev. exp. ed. 1999. Shelved at PN4783 .N49 1999 Main Ref
Introduction to Basic Legal Citation (Peter Martin, Cornell University Law School) - based on the AWLD Citation Manual, 5th ed., and the Bluebook, 19th ed.
- Language Style Sheet - author guidelines for submission to LSA's official journal.
- Unified style sheet for linguistics - recommended for all linguistics journals
AMS Journals (American Mathematical Society) - general information for journal authors
AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors (American Medical Association), 10th ed. 2007. Shelved at WZ 345 A511m 2007 AHSL Info Desk and AHSL-Phoenix Ref (9th ed. at R119 .A533 1998 Science Library).
- AMA Style Stat! (Dr. Abel Scribe)
- AMA Citation Style (University of Illinois)
- Quick Reference Citation Format [PDF] (Samford University)
- AMA Handbook of Business Documents: Guidelines and Sample Documents that Make Business Writing Easy
Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (National Library of Medicine), 2nd ed. 2007.
ASM Style Manual for Journals and Books (American Society for Microbiology), 1991. Shelved at QR11 .A44 1991 Science Library
Helm, E. Eugene. Words & Music: Form and Procedure in Theses, Dissertations, Research Papers, Book Reports, Programs, Theses in Composition. Rev. ed. 1982. Shelved at ML3797 .H49 1982 Fine Arts Ref
Holoman, D. Kern. Writing about Music: A Style Sheet [ebook]. 3rd ed. 2014
Irvine, Demar. Irvine's Writing about Music. 3rd ed. 1999. Shelved at ML3797 .I79 1999 Fine Arts Ref
Citing Music Sources in Your Essay and Bibliography (Western University)
AIP Publishing’s Author Resource Center (American Institute of Physics)
AIP Style Manual (American Institute of Physics), 4th ed. 1990. Shelved at QC5.45 .A45 1990 Science Ref.
The AIP Style Manual serves as guidance in writing, editing, and preparing articles for publication by AIP and its member societies (in conjunction with the "Information for Contributors" page in the specific member journal). The Addendum includes instructions for electronic submission and a list of AIP member journals.
- Physical Review Style and Notation Guide (PDF)
- Reviews of Modern Physics Style and Notation Guide (PDF)
APSA Documentation (American Political Science Association) - from the University of Wisconsin-Madison
See APA Style Guide (American Psychological Association)
See CSE Style under Biology
ASA Style Guide (American Sociological Association), 3rd ed. 2007. Shelved at HM569 .A54 2007 Main Ref
Online Guides to ASA:
- ASA Format (Cal State, Los Angeles)
- ASA References Page Formatting and Examples (Purdue University's Online Writing Lab [OWL])
Last modified: October 19, 2015