Why the UA Libraries - The Libraries
Why the UA Libraries - The Libraries
We embrace creativity, risk-taking, and collaboration. We foster a culture of change and innovation.
Diversity is one of our core values, and we strongly value our diverse workforce. Learn more about our commitment to diversity.
We are service oriented, and we see value in continuous learning, integrity, and flexibility. View our mission, vision, and principles.
Our current landscape and looking to the future
For a summary of our purpose, efforts, and who we are, see our vision document: Everywhere You Are: The Library.
An overview of statistics related to our holdings, facilities, equipment, online visits and more can be viewed in our Statistical Snapshot.
Our innovative approach to supporting the educational, research, and community missions of the university have gained us national recognition. Below are some highlights of such recent initiatives.
We support educational excellence and success through such innovations as:
- embedded, customized resources in all D2L course sites on campus
- two online, one-credit courses to support undergraduate and graduate students in gaining information literacy skills
- guide on the side tutorials that engage learners by allowing them to actively apply their learning
- etextbook pilot programs and other programatic support for required course materials
- library research awards for students utilizing library resources
- space assessment studies to improve student learning environments
We support research excellence through such initiatives as:
- a campus repository service
- on-demand information delivery
- consortial agreements to expand resource availability
- digital preservation
- data management leadership on campus
- unique acquisitions such as the congressional collection of Gabrielle Giffords and a notable collection from the UA Lunar and Planetary Science Department
- a collaboration with Kabul University that provides access to the largest Afghan digital collection of its kind
- implementation of a database to organize faculty scholarship, providing networking, collaboration, and dissemination opportunities
We support community engagement and workforce impact with such efforts as:
- providing local and unique digital collections related to the state and Borderlands
- hosting a variety of educational programs, exhibits, and events
- hosting and helping publish 11 university peer-reviewed journals
Our organization chart outlines our overall structure, including departments, cross-functional collaborations and shared governance groups.
The award-winning University of Arizona Press publishes scholarly and general interest books that reflect the special strengths of the University of Arizona, including anthropology, Indigenous studies, Latino Studies, Latin American and Borderlands studies, environmental studies, and astronomy. The Press is a separate entity housed in-part at the Main Library, with personnel and accounting supported through the Libraries. We look forward to leveraging the Press/Libraries relationship through future scholarly communication initiatives.
The Law Library operates separately, but we share a library catalog and funding of some resources; we seek out other opportunities to collaborate with one another.
We are a culture of collaboration both internally and externally. See our consortial memberships.
Our library staff are friendly, talented, and creative people. They have been recognized for some incredible achievements in recent years. See our Awards and Honors.
Every year, library staff participate in campus initiatives to better our community, including UA Cares, Wildcat Welcome, Walk Across Arizona, and the Arizona Assurance Mentor Program. We are proud of our colleagues who volunteer their time and efforts to make our community a better place to live, work, and study.
The University of Arizona offers an exceptional array of benefits and work/life support services, including tuition reduction and partner benefits. Prospective employees are encouraged to review available benefits at UA Human Resources.
We understand expenses related to moving yourself and family, and have a generous relocation policy, which applies to Appointed positions.
Last modified: July 21, 2014